Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Potato and Butternut Squash Soup



As I mentioned a few weeks ago, my husband and I are trying to eat a bit healthier than we had been in the past. In an effort to make healthier meals we stocked up on fresh vegetables. One of those vegetables was butternut squash; and with it we decided to make soup.

I like to use other people’s recipes as a reference, but I really like to make my own recipe if I can. For this recipe I did glance at a potato soup recipe, but I definitely made some changes. I think those changes were for the better. Also, I had originally intended for this soup to be made in a crockpot, that is until I tried to pile all of the vegetables into the crockpot and only half of them fit.


What You’ll Need…

1 Butternut Squash (Cubed)
10 Small Potatoes (Cubed)
3 Large Carrots (Chopped)
3 Celery Stalks (Chopped)
1 Medium Onion (Chopped)
4 Chicken bouillon cubes
6 Cups Water
1 Cup Sour Cream
½ Teaspoon Basil
½ Teaspoon Parsley
½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
½ Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg


Start out by peeling the squash, potatoes, and carrots. Continue by chopping all of the vegetables. Cube the squash and potatoes. Chop the carrots, celery and onions.





































Place all of the vegetables, the chicken cubes, and 6 cups of water into a stock pot.



Let the soup cook over low heat partially covered for three hours. Once the vegetables are tender add the sour cream, herbs and spices. Mix the soup thoroughly and allow it to cook for ten more minutes.



You can leave the soup chunky, but I went a step further and made it creamy. To make the soup creamy ladle it into a blender and puree.



Enjoy your soup by itself, with cheese, with bacon bits, or with cheese and bacon bits.



Store the leftovers in an air-tight container and in the refrigerator. There will be left overs, this recipe makes about 17 cups of soup.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment